Originally Posted by frenchy2k1
Look at usage today for most people:
- browsing the web: even the lowest APU can do it. Flash is the only stressful app and is getting better and going away
- email/office apps: no CPU stress
- video games: graphic limited. get a GTX680 rather than upgrade CPU/MB/RAM
- boot time: first, don't boot and use sleep modes or use a SSD
- video compression (already more rare): use quickSync (1155 platform)
Yeah, I'm running a Core 2 Duo E8600 with a GTX680... and even games that allegedly want a quad core, like GTA IV, run smooth because they were patched over time.
I was thinking about upgrading my motherboard / CPU next year... but I may go with an SSD instead. I'm still waiting on Price drops on those, which are getting close. ($1 a Gig)
The only reason that I'd want a Sandy or Ivy bridge would be for the encoding ability... but I'd probably buy a new iMac for that, since my gaming rig only runs games and no other software is installed.