View Single Post
Old 05-30-12, 02:41 PM   #18
geophph

Default Re: Linux GTX 675M support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
But in order to discuss this topic properly, you do need to care and know how Optimus works.
When I created this topic it was a last resort to figure out if the piece of hardware I want to buy will work or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
Who said it doesn't work? Well ok, it may not with the current 295.53 and 302.11 drivers. But if you look at the release notes for 295.53, it added support for a whole bunch of 6xx cards, so I'm sure one of the next releases will add 675M support.
But that's support just for the GPU itself. Then still remains the usual problem that the GPU isn't connected to the internal display. So you need either proper support with DMA-BUF, or Bumblebee.

Heh. But this isn't about me, I don't have an Optimus laptop. It's about properly understanding the issue at hand.
Right so again this topic could be useful for others looking to buy the latest NVidia mobile hardware and informing themselves on a proper purchasing decision.

EDIT: I should add that it is critical to be aware of proper support for DMA-BUF as well. Because obviously the first place I checked was the Nvidia driver release notes. Which could be misleading (when they do support later 6xx series) if many new laptops will not have the GPU connected to the internal display.
geophph is offline   Reply With Quote