View Single Post
Old 06-04-12, 04:05 PM   #7
rynosaur

Thumbs down Re: Removal of overscan options in 302.07...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikaricore View Post
The syntax has changed so I wasn't aware of the exact way it needed done... and by a little off I mean it's a little off, there's still some overscan and I pretty much just said the hell with it when I got close since this is a completely asinine way of having to do it. I very much look forward to when there's a slider again or atleast a less complicated way of resolving overscan.
Is it NVIDIA management that tell you guys to take an insouciant attitude toward your paying customers -- especially the ones who are tech saavy and eloquent enough to tell a thousand people on social media that you have a callous attitude toward users' device availability and value for money spent over the life of your products?

I created an account just to back up this (hikaricore's) statement. I've been a very long time NVIDIA enthusiast (i.e., since I chucked my last Diamond AGP 1.0 video card in the trash if that gives you any idea); I have purchased and used to the extreme at least 6 NVIDIA products and I have becoming increasingly skeptical of NVIDIA's attention to detail and concern for its customers, especially in the Linux world. Maybe I need to buy $1500 of 3D gear after all to be "satisfied", but my HDMI audio doesn't work properly in ANY flavor of Linux, and now the last vestiges of GUI friendliness toward odd-sized LCD displays disappears in a flash of "we'll get to that later". Meanwhile, the scaling/resizing feature, HDMI audio, and per user settings work flawlessly in Windows 7, which I avoid like the plague.

Why did you remove the slider? To perfect your vision of scaling? I can't see 25% of the desktop now. Why can't you get ALSA or Pulseaudio to work with your HDMI drivers? I went to "beta" 302.07 because my audio was broken in Debian Squeeze, Debian Lenny, Lubuntu, Linux Mint, Linux Mint Debian, Backbox, Fedora 17, and Xubuntu . . . . only to lose overscan correction. Why do I have become a Linux scripting guru just to correct these problems? Do you force Windows users to manually edit their registries or sys.ini or driverstore binaries just to get serviceable 2.0 or 5.1 audio more than once in a blue moon?

I'd have to see massive improvement in all these areas before ever purchasing another NVIDIA product (my current is a eVGA GT430 1gbDDR3, my last was a PnY 8600gts 512mbX16): you can see I've been less willing recently to shell out big bucks due to shoddy Linux driver coverage and unstable Windows driver performance) or recommending anyone else do the same.

Until then, AMD/ATI or Intel are getting my money. The same goes for tablets. I have an ASUS TF101 with a Tegra 2 which I mostly love, but since no one seems to be able to cure image tearing and overall Android compatibility, I'll wait for some else's latest and greatest.

/rant
rynosaur is offline   Reply With Quote