View Single Post
Old 06-08-12, 01:44 PM   #1
MquwIBUO

Default Fedora 16, GTX 550Ti, random X hangs, "Attempted to yield the CPU..."

My previous card was a GT 520, which was quite stable, but after swapping it for a GTX 550Ti, X hangs at random times with only messages such as
Jun 8 18:56:54 mother kernel: [ 791.000323] NVRM: os_schedule: Attempted to yield the CPU while in atomic or interrupt context
in /var/log/messages. I.e. no Xid errors.

I can't exactly duplicate the issue. Sometimes it hangs as soon as the (graphical) login prompt is displayed. Other times I can login and play around for a while before it hangs. It doesn't seem to happen when I play Diablo 3, so I tend to play a lot. (For stability). Disabling desktop effects didn't help anything though.

I've tried the various kernel parameters mentioned in the sticky in this forum, but to no avail.

To elaborate on the symptoms: X freezes and only the mouse can move. Cannot switch to a VT or CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE. I can SSH in, but killing X still leaves the screen frozen. I can issue a reboot command, but it never actually reboots, so I just sync and do a hard reset.

Asrock X58 Extreme motherboard / i7 CPU. Full HW profile here: http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pu...1-6f6d1c059c00.
Attached Files
File Type: gz messages.gz (20.9 KB, 64 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (59.6 KB, 71 views)
File Type: gz Xorg.0.log.gz (5.4 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by MquwIBUO; 06-09-12 at 11:28 AM. Reason: HW info added
MquwIBUO is offline   Reply With Quote