View Single Post
Old 06-14-12, 01:01 AM   #78
Redeemed

Default Re: iOS 6 Confirmed for WWDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
I had a dell laptop that had compatible LCD panels made from IBM, Toshiba, and some other company whose name I can't recall. During its lifespan, I upgraded its video card from the original geforce it included to some ATI card.

Dell also mailed me a motherboard to it by mistake, which I kept just in case because they never asked for it back (though I never used it because the original motherboard never failed.) The prices for the replacement motherboards weren't bad at all for a laptop (around $150ish.)

I also upgraded the video card on somebody else's Acer laptop once.
Two examples.

I repair OEM units 5 days a week. Every week. Just being blunt- you're very wrong. The vast majority of "video cards" are integrated to the motherboard- not upgradeable. Most OEM do not provide BIOS updates thus you are very limited regarding CPU upgrades and there's next to no documentation from the OEM as to what CPUs your laptop's particular mobo supports.

The only guaranteed parts to be upgradeable are RAM and HDD. Very rarely will you find any other parts that are upgradeable.

As to standard form factors- bull. Sure, there may be some coincidences but out side of those a mobo from a DELL laptop will not fit into an HP, or an ACER, etc. Maybe from an HP to Compaq or vice-versa, or from a Gateway to a e-Machine, etc but even then the odds are slim.

And I've been doing this for 16 years.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote