View Single Post
Old 06-14-12, 02:13 AM   #79
Rakeesh

Default Re: iOS 6 Confirmed for WWDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Two examples.

I repair OEM units 5 days a week. Every week. Just being blunt- you're very wrong. The vast majority of "video cards" are integrated to the motherboard- not upgradeable. Most OEM do not provide BIOS updates thus you are very limited regarding CPU upgrades and there's next to no documentation from the OEM as to what CPUs your laptop's particular mobo supports.

The only guaranteed parts to be upgradeable are RAM and HDD. Very rarely will you find any other parts that are upgradeable.
I did that for about 5 years as a formal job, even longer (since around 1998) as people just handed me their junk and said "fix it." I only quit recently because it's dead end and it's just the same old crap over and over again.

Also, upgrading the CPU doesn't necessitate a BIOS upgrade (especially given almost all newer laptops don't even use BIOS; in fact I'd be surprised if any of them still did. Many will say "BIOS" when they are in fact not - mine being one of them, and it is already 2 years old.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
As to standard form factors- bull. Sure, there may be some coincidences but out side of those a mobo from a DELL laptop will not fit into an HP, or an ACER, etc. Maybe from an HP to Compaq or vice-versa, or from a Gateway to a e-Machine, etc but even then the odds are slim.

And I've been doing this for 16 years.
I didn't say anything about the motherboard, I'm referring to other parts. Intel and AMD both have specs for CPU pinouts, and you'll commonly find LCD panels that work with more than one brand or model of laptop.

Not that I'm trying to put you down, but best buy doesn't exactly permit you to make most repairs that you can possibly do on laptops. I used to be in that business, and I still know people who are in it. Hell, none of the big names in PC repair even work at an A+ level, and A+ is a joke.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote