View Single Post
Old 06-14-12, 02:22 AM   #82
Redeemed

Default Re: iOS 6 Confirmed for WWDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
UEFI is a lot more flexible than BIOS. Haven't you noticed how UEFI boards don't go through POST? In fact one of the basic design principles behind intel's original EFI spec (which UEFI is derived from) is that it will run on pretty much any CPU you can throw at it because the DXE isn't dependent upon timings, rather that actually sits upon another abstraction layer that is coded for the overall CPU architecture.

Now that's not to say that jumping from say Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge would work, but upgrading to a CPU that has more cores, cache, or clock is typically going to be a lot easier than with BIOS. Hell, BIOS at its core isn't even meant to run on any architecture higher than 16-bit - doing so requires some additional programming tricks, and every time CPU's became more advanced, they had to keep adding on to that mess.
Well aware of all of this. Also aware of how locked down OEM units are. Ever find a new laptop with all the options available in the UEFI? No, or not very often? Ever wonder why? Guess I haven't been clear. Most OEMs intentionally lock you into a specific CPU or GPU. Need a replacement? You're forced to pay handsomely for it or, more logically, purchase a new computer. That's what it boils down to ultimately. Also, less hassle for them as far as maintaining support. How often do you find the latest Forceware or Catalyst drivers on Dell's, HP's, or Gateway's site? Yes, you can upgrade CPUs on some units- never denied that. Those units are rare.

Quote:
No, although I've done many things that require that level of SMC rework.
Yeah but I'd wager money you can't solder a GTX580M to fit in the place of a 6970M. Or going from a GTX560M to a GTX580M. Pin layout is different, power requirements are different, thermals are different. And I would wager a year's salary you've never and will never separated the GPU die from the CPU die in an APU from either AMD or Intel. There are some things a mere soldering iron just can't accomplish.

Quote:
You can swap parts, but I never said that it is as easy as a desktop, nor implied it.
Then I stand corrected about this. That is how you were making it sound, at least how I interpreted your stance.

My point is Slawter is more correct about the average joe caring about how easy his new computer is to fix. Most folks would rather pay guys like you and I to do it for them. It's easier and more convenient. Until that changes you and I will continue to have jobs performing these repairs.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote