View Single Post
Old 06-22-12, 12:11 AM   #11
Viral
Registered User of Women

Default Re: Sony Admits Cloud is 'Absolutely Inevitable', is 'Considering How This Can be a

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Comcast charges you overage? If I exceed 250GB they have the right to terminate my service and ban me for a year... and their the only ISP I can get where I live. They have me by the balls.
That's insane. I have 150GB for $59/mo but almost all plans here slow you to a barely usable 64kbit with no charges when you go over. My ISP however hosts many game servers where data is not counted, almost all steam download data that is mirrored on a local server is not counted, as well as local IPTV services. I also have the option to buy data blocks if I exceed my cap. At $5 for 2GB they aren't great, but if you accidentally go over and want decent speeds for normal browsing/light media streaming for the rest of the month it's a good option.

I imagine any cloud gaming services offered here will get similar treatment. Of course any sort of services are pretty pointless before more people get 100mbit fiber, which is 1-5 years off depending where you live. The average DSL connection here is probably 6-8mbit... sure quite a few get 15-20 which would be just enough, but the majority don't. Personally I think 15mbit is a minimum for cloud gaming.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote