View Single Post
Old 06-28-12, 06:05 AM   #3
C-J

Default Re: xrandr shift after 302.17 not working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
This came up in another thread: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...85&postcount=8You're supposed to be able to use xrandr -s to switch between MetaModes, but that doesn't work currently. Instead, it reconfigures the current MetaMode as if you had used RandR 1.2 requests.
Your first statement appears to be contradicted by the fact that 'xrandr -s 1920x1200' works. I say 'appears' as maybe that's covered by your second sentence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
In your case, you should be able to use RandR 1.2 to turn the second monitor on and off on the fly with "xrandr --output <whatever> --off" and "xrandr --output <whatever> --preferred --right-of <whatever>"
Yup, worked a treat, so thank you for that!
The delay in switching between modes seems a wee bit longer than before (approx. 1.5 secs. vs. 0.5 secs before), but that is hardly an issue.

I found that I could also use:
Code:
nvidia-settings --assign 0/CurrentMetaMode="DFP-0: 1920x1200_60 +0+0, DFP-1: 1920x1200_60 +1920+0"
(... thanks to an answer you provided in a previous thread of mine.)

Since you say that my usual way of doing it is 1.1, and your solution (and my alternative CurrentMetaMode) is 1.2, can I safely assume that your 1.2 is the more 'correct' and future-proof method to use?
Or, in short: Which would you use?

Cheers!
CJ
C-J is offline   Reply With Quote