View Single Post
Old 08-28-12, 08:02 PM   #75
rockob

Default Re: Random crashes, NVRM Xid messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiecaper View Post
I believe I am experiencing the same issue here with 304.37. I do not have Bumblebee, am using a desktop GTX 285 on Linux 3.4.9. I have experienced this both with WINE games (TF2, Orcs Must Die! 2, Homefront) and native Sauerbraten occasionally over the last 3-4 months. Interestingly, I seem to have no problem playing Skyrim for hours on end.

Problems typically seem to occur for me only after about 90 minutes of gameplay. There will be occasional stutters in responsiveness that span out over a relatively long period of time (20-40 minutes) before X becomes totally unresponsive and/or only responsive to mouse input. Usually external audio output from VLC or other sources continues without trouble, but the audio of the 3D process that caused the lock stutters within the same frame indefinitely.

I am usually able to SSH in to the system when this happens, but cannot kill the problematic process. I was able to use SysRq K to kill X. I typically reboot via SSH when this happens.

I have attached a bug report log from my most recent incident, which occurred while playing Orcs Must Die! 2 in WINE 1.5.11.
That "Attempted to yield the CPU while in atomic or interrupt context" message sure looks familiar. Unfortunately nobody at nvidia will tell us what the Xid errors mean (just that they are for debugging) or how to provide more information to help them track it down and fix it.

I have found that some games are more likely to trigger the bug, in particular crysis2 rarely lasts more than a minute on my setup. For me, with the latest 304 series drivers (including 304.43), games that used to not experience the dreaded nvidia crash are far more likely to experience it now. But alien arena (compiled natively, so not using wine) doesn't crash at all. Lots of people report that nvidia crashes X when they aren't even playing games (luckily for me my main GPU is an Intel, which doesn't crash).

Perhaps there is a particular 3d code path in the nvidia code that is prone to crashing and not all games use it (eg a particular opengl call that alien arena doesn't use because it is only using calls compatible with an older version of opengl so as to give the same experience on intel as nvidia or ati). Or perhaps some games are more 3d-intensive and the nvidia driver simply isn't well-written enough to handle the load.
rockob is offline   Reply With Quote