Join Date: Feb 2005
Re: nvidia and the wayland display server
This just peaked my curiosity a few days ago and I just have to add to this.
Why wouldn't NVidia just support the Wayland protocol? Two major distros have already expressed interest in moving to Wayland (one, Fedora, being an upstream distro which will mean that OpenSUSE, Red Hat Enterprise Linux and CentOS will too get Wayland support), and the other being the upstream of most popular distro in the world right now (yeah, Mint is a spin of Ubuntu), if not being one of the most widely used Linux distro. Also, I expect it's popularity will surge since Valve is porting Steam on it.
Also, will NVidia adopt Gallium3D support to it's drivers? That would be very useful to gamers, since if I'm not mistaken, Gallium3D supports accelerated translation of DirectX and will allow Wine to benefit from a nice speed boost with Windows games. And in time, will not only be used in Wayland, but has also been said to perform better than a traditional Mesa3D implementation.
- "Edison" - Phenom II X4 925 AM3 (Deneb), M4N98TD-EVO (nForce980a SLI), ENGTS450 DirectCU 1GB (GeForce GTS450) x2 (SLI), integrated GeForce8200, SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, 8GB DDR3-1600
- "Sally" - Athlon64 x2 5000+ AM2 (Brisbane), M4N72-E (nForce750a SLI), ENGTS250 Dark Knight 1GB (GeForce GTS250) x2 (SLI), integrated GeForce8200, SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, 4GB DDR2-1066
- "Dongwa" - Phenom II X4 945 AM3 (Deneb), M4N75TD (nForce750a SLI), ENGTX260-216SP 896MB (GeForce GTX260 216SP) x2 (SLI), integrated GeForce8200, SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Champion, 8GB DDR3-1600
- "Helen" - Athlon64 x2 6400+ AM2 (Windsor), M4N78 Pro (GeForce8300), ENGT520 1GB (GeForce GT520), integrated GeForce8300, AuzenTech Prelude X-Fi, 4GB DDR2-1066.
- "Clementine" - Athlon64 x2 3800+ AM2 (Windsor), TF560A2+ (nForce560), V8402GL26 (GeForce 8400GS), SoundBlaster Live! 5.1, Sonnet Allegro FW400 PCIe, 2GB DDR2-800