View Single Post
Old 01-13-04, 12:06 AM   #1
ManixT

Default [1.0-5328] X nvidia module init problem.

I have applied the patch from the minion.de site for the 1.0-5328 driver branch so I could compile the driver with support for my 2.6.0 kernel. I also upgraded the module-init-tools to 3.0-pre5 due to some problems with the older version and installing the module. The installation went perfect and the module was installed:

#: lsmod
Module Size Used by
nvidia 2071752 -

The 3.0-pre5 version of modprobe was silent when "modprobe nvidia" was run, but version 0.9.14 reports:

FATAL: Module nvidia already in kernel.

I have also verified that /lib/module/2.6.0/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko exists (and I symlinked to /lib/module/2.6.0/video/nvidia.ko just incase).

The problem is that XFree86 4.3.0 fails to find the nvidia module (XFree86config file is perfectly setup with the device driver being "nvidia" and glx enabled). The glx driver loads with no problem but when the nvidia module is being loaded XFree86 reports the following error:

(II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module nvidia
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module does not exist, 0)

I can supply additional information as nessicary and I greatly appreciate any possible help or information (like how XFree finds modules) on the subject.
ManixT is offline   Reply With Quote