View Single Post
Old 01-25-13, 12:52 AM   #1
Tumbar

Default 304.64 Driver & GeForce 6600; Black Boot up!

Hello,

I have been at this for nearly two weeks now and I have not gained any ground, so I am hoping this forum will have some form of solution for me as I have literally tried everywhere this could concern. So here is the issue.

Upon installing the correct driver and restart, I am greetly normally when I boot up and log in. My resolution is fine, my nvidia settings is up to date but this is only so if I do not use my GPU (list below). As soon as my GPU is in the system and I reboot, no matter the distro, I am given weird static screens (lines running through the screen), red lined screens after that, and then finally an all black screen when I get to the point where I am supposed to log in. There is no way to get into Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edbuntu, Manjaro or Fedora with my GPU in. So I thought "Hey, maybe it is the driver." so I did a fresh install and never installed any drivers, but the same issues occur.

So I thought maybe I could just do my OpenGL needs with just my on board, but I can't even do that. Every time I open something that has or needs OpenGL, I am given a couple of warnings like "you currently do have OpenGL support", "It seems you don't have any drivers installed" (false, of course), or "Could not find required OpenGL entry point 'glGetError'| Either your video card is unsupported, or your OpenGL driver needs to be updated". I can't Photoshop, I can't use Google Earth and I can't play any of my games. But, and here is the weird part, I can run glxgears and get spinning gears. So...?

The GPU works fine in Windows 7, so it isn't the GPU. Any solutions?

System info;

Distro: Ubuntu 12.04 (precise) 64bit
Kernel: 3.2.0-36-generic
Xorg: 1.11.3
GPU: GeForce Sparkle 6600 LE 256mb card
Driver: 304.64

I hope someone can offer any solutions to this matter. I have been working tirelessly at this but I have not come across any solutions. There are other people with this issue, too, so hopefully there is a solution. (:

My thanks to you all,