View Single Post
Old 01-13-04, 01:33 PM   #19
SnapIT

Quote:
Originally posted by LaNcom
SnapIT, sorry, but I'm afraid you lost me...
1. I don't have _any_ problems with AGP on AMD64, but then again, I use an AMD8151 tunnel - don't know about VIA's KT800...
2. IIRC, AGPGART on AMD64 for VIA chipsets works with kernel 2.6.1, but I don't know if there are any performance issues.
3. What is it you've written? A replacement for Linux' AGPGART? And it's faster? And stable? Go ahead, send it to Andrew or AMD64.org, I'm sure they will be excited and include it in the kernel. No, really, I mean it!

Oh, and BTW, I tested XSI using 32bit Linux, it doesn't work on 64bit Linux... If you try it you should see that there is no OpenGL accelleration at all, because Nvidia's 4499 drivers don't like 32bit apps.
It is basically a driver that translates the agp 1(64) to 3(64)... (as opposed to the kernel driver which translates 1(32) to 3(64))

It could not be included in the kernel as there is no way to test if the hardware supports it, you just have to know what hardware you got and if it will work for you (you would benefit from the speed increases of this driver too, it is not native to VIA, it is just the only driver that works with VIA)...

It is AFAIK the only driver that fully supports the kt800, i got the idea reading these forums and seeing the problems, then i heard about the kernel support so i went one step further and made a native driver for AMD64...

No, you don't have any problems, but the increase in video performance cannot be very great for you, you are still using 32 bit code to handle it... (it's like using the nv driver, it works, as long as you don't use the card for what it was intended for)

I have produced other kernel modules before so i am familiar with the process of adding code...

Last but not least, it is the agp interface that does not work with the various drivers, my driver and 64 bit SUSE runs XSI just fine on three video platforms, Nvidia, 3Dlabs and ATI, just as it was meant to do...

Thank you for your civil response... good to know there are grown up people on this board too...
SnapIT is offline   Reply With Quote