View Single Post
Old 01-13-04, 12:44 PM   #21
SnapIT

Quote:
Originally posted by delt
I still don't get one thing. Why the HELL don't nvidia release their drivers as OPEN SOURCE!???

It would be beneficial 1. to the users, who now have access to the source code and can help fix bugs, and therefore 2. to nvidia themselves, since they would have the entire unix community helping them to develop better drivers.

Personally, other than games i'm really reluctant to using a bundled, bolted-shut piece of software for which the source code, and any kind of specifications, are kept locked up away from me for i don't know what purpose.

I remember a while ago i had issues with a piece of **** geforce2 card, and e-mailed several addresses that were listed on nvidia's site. They answered my questions on several topics, but the assholes completely -IGNORED- any reference to open source drivers. I e-mailed them again to AT LEAST have an idea what their position was face to this, never got any reply.

What possible loss could nvidia, or anyone, suffer from releasing open-source drivers??!?!??
Eaaasy on the coffee there bud... ;-)

There have been a multitude of explanations to this (none of which i actually buy) and it's not going to happen...

With OSS they could just throw out a driver and if it doesn't work right... improve it, it would not be their problem...

Basically, the Linux driver works like a beta tester for Nvidia, they have not released ONE stable branch driver to this date, all of them are beta...

What is stable branch you ask? Get involved i say, if you do not know i don't think i can explain it without you getting involved in the community, i don't have all the answers, but google is your friend, the usenet is your friend, the mailng lists are your friends...

The problem with Nvidias drivers as i see it are not that they are crappy, it is that people are happy to have ANY driver that works with linux, so they will happily beta test whatever drivers are available, without support from Nvidia of course (yeah, Nvidia supports linux like satan reads the bible)...

THAT is about to change... The amount of linux users went up by 100% 2000, 153% 2001, 194% 2002, 364% 2003, the time when Linux support can be ignored is about to end...

Don't expect any questions regarding OSS to be answered by Nvidia, if you want OSS go ATI and use DRI drivers, that is what i do... after the last rewrite it is as stable as hell... still people are recommending Nvidia for Linux as their commercial drivers are better than ATI's, even that is debatable now though...

BTW, for anyone interested, FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE was released yesterday, now all Nvidia has to do is update the three year old driver for it... (not that anyone uses that POS anywayz) or just get an ATI card and use the DRI drivers...
SnapIT is offline   Reply With Quote