View Single Post
Old 01-13-04, 05:51 PM   #1
PRPBlackout

Send a message via AIM to PRPBlackout Send a message via Yahoo to PRPBlackout
Question New to linux need help

Ok I have Mandrake Linux 9.1. I got it cause it's suppose to be the easiest one to install and use. Riiight

Well Iím new to Linux. This will be my first time using it. Okay so I did the install everything was going fine. The computer rebooted and everything seemed fine everything loaded. Then I got to this login screen, so I put my user name and password and I got some username@localhost thing and thatís not want I want I want the GUI. So I started looking around to see what to do. I found that this is cause if the monitor was not configured.

So I log back in. typed the xf86config and set all that up. After all that I put startx and I got some errors.

Failed to initialize the Nvidia Kernel module
Screen found, but none have a usable configuration

Fatal server error: no screen found

XIO: fatal error 104 (connection reset by peer) on x server ď.0.0Ē

I then tried reinstalling and the same problem and I selected everything I had for the video card and screen, but it still says the same thing.

Then after that I tried installing windows, but it wonít install cause it says there is no hard drive install.

So Iím pretty much lost right now. This is my computer setup.

ABIT AT7-MAX2
Athlon XP 2100+
Crucial 512mb DDR PC 2100
Plextor Plexwriter 52x32x52
WD Raptor 36gig
Leadtek Geforce3 TDH 64mb
NEC MultiSync FE700+

Edit:
Ok I was told to download the lastest linux drivers. I downloaded the no my windows machine and burned it to a cd. Now how do I install it from the cd?
PRPBlackout is offline   Reply With Quote