View Single Post
Old 04-15-13, 06:10 AM   #1
News

Post Some More Interesting Oculus Rift Development Kit Updates

The team at Oculus has reported that they've managed to ship roughly 1850 development kits worldwide so far (out of which 500 internationally) with another ~2000 arriving at doorsteps around April 26th, but it could be a few days earlier or later depending on international customs. Of the upcoming ~2000 unit batch, ~500 will be shipped to Europe, ~500 will be for Asia/Oceania, and the rest will be to the Americas. These units will also be the first delivered via the new EU/Asia/Oceania fulfillment network, which should help reduce delivery times and costs. So it will take some time until all of the 10K+ units get shipped. Fortunately I've already got my unit, even though I'm based in Europe, the early backers with DIY kits like me apparently had priority. The Oculus Kickstarter t-shirts and posters are also ready and should be shipping worldwide starting next week (shipped separately from the dev kits).

Meanwhile iFixit have made a teardown of the Rift, so if you are interested in finding out what is inside the Rift you might want to take a look at their complete Teardown of the Oculus Rift. This can save you the need of having to disassemble your unit if you are curious or if you plan to mod something on your Rift and are not sure if your modification will be possible, or if it will fit in.

And here is another teardown of the Rift, this time on video, made by Michael Moffitt. On his website you can find something else that might be of interest for Oculus Rift owners, an Oculus Rift USB power hack that would allow you to run the Rift off USB power only without the need of the extra power adapter, making the Rift more portable and having to use less cables. Be warned that you may face issues with this mode on some USB ports if you have other peripheral devices connected that tend to draw more power.

Other similar posts you might be interested in:

More...
News is offline   Reply With Quote