View Single Post
Old 09-28-13, 07:13 AM   #11
wheeljack12

Send a message via Skype™ to wheeljack12
Default Re: getting a gtx 760 soon!

4gb is the new standard for 256 bit bus cards due to Battlefield 4 recommending 3gb of video ram for the game. It doesn't make sense that next gen console conversions would reduce the requirements on a pc. The PS4 uses 8gb of GDDR5, although slower than pc video card ram,it's GDDR5 for it's shared system/video memory. That will raise the bar on the pc because ddr3 ram on a pc is too slow to used as shared ram for discrete video card using 2-4gb of 6-7000mhz gddr5. Nvidia wants to change that with maxwell gpu's. They want to do with discrete cards that AMD is doing with APU's. The HUMA architecture or unified memory. Right now when look at windows wei properties or msinfo32, the computer tells you how much is being used for system use and how much is being reserved for shared ram for video. Discrete cards don't use that ram or we wouldn't be hitting walls with the pc. Nvidia wants to change that by actually using that ram. The problem I have with it is ddr3 and early ddr 4 ram will be too slow to actually help out. What should be done by the hardware engineers is skip ddr4 and use gddr 5 (get jedec to see the light and approve this)and turn it into usable ram (ram modules that you put on your motherboard)just like it's being done on the ps4 for a pc motherboards ram. It would reduce the total cost of ownership in the long run of the pc meaning you would have cheaper video cards that would be sold in volume (volume sales are more profitable than small ones and make everyone happy) along with ram prices going down due to gddr5 not being considered so bleeding edge that it has to have such a price premium for hardware in general. BTW, I changed my mind due to long term budget restrictions. I have to sli two 2gb gtx 760's. I thought to myself that two gtx 760's have the same graphical power of one gtx 780 (1152 cores x 2=2304 or the number of cores in gtx 780). That numbering of cores by nvidia was smart marketing. That way if you can't afford $750-800 w/shipping and taxes (my tax in my province is 13%), you can buy two lower powered cards for about $100 less w/shipping and taxes and get the same processing power. No, the ram for each card isn't there by itself. But isn't sli supposed to send the ram request from one video card to the next, hence why sli and crossfire use combined resoures of everything (gpu and ram) when used. SLI does it right though in not having to miss so many frames (sorry AMD lovers, your loyalty is now costing you because AMD's lack of paying attention to detail for video cards and poor engineering of their cpu's). AMD will never learn their lesson. They make those fixer commericals by mocking Nvidia and destroying one of their cards like it's garbage. They put up a big posting on their webpage out of arrogance when Intel got hit with the EU $1 billion dollar fine. All Intel and Nvidia do is keep making better hardware and keep making hand over fist. In other words, they shut the eff up and let AMD fall on their collective asses. And AMD trying to do the Mantle core API with Hawaii,dumb! If Nvidia thought that when they bought out 3dfx that the glide API would be profitable, they would have kept it. Even when AMD got their settlement over the x64 architecture from intel, most of it got used to pay debts instead of having much of a profit. I actually feel more scared for console users now then ever. I can see the return rates skyrocketing from PS4/xbox one's. Another smart move by Nvidia. they got out of the next gen console market. They understand that the pc is the top gun of gaming meaning it was the foundation of gaming before the xbox's and ps's came along.
gigabyte g1.sniper 5 mb, 8gb ddr3-1866 mhz ram in dual channel,intel core i7 4790 3.6 ghz quad core cpu, asus gtx 780 3gb vc,OCZ vector 150 240 gb ssd x 2 in raid 0 (intel raid),antec hcg-850 850 watt 80 plus bronze psu,corsair carbide 500r white case,pioneer bdr-208 15x bluray writer, steelseries 6gv2 keyboard ,acer gv215hv 21.5 inch 1080p lcd monitor, zalman eclipse 8200dpi mouse,xbox 360 wired controller for windows,kingston 8gb usb 2.0 flash drive,windows 8.1 64 bit,creative labs sound blaster zxr pci-e sc,logitech s120 2.0 speakers

I'd rather walk with God in the Dark than shine in the light alone.
wheeljack12 is offline   Reply With Quote