View Single Post
Old 11-28-13, 06:02 AM   #3
wheeljack12

Send a message via Skype™ to wheeljack12
Default Re: 2gb or 4gb gtx 770?

Hey XDanger, nice to hear from a friendly voice again. The reason I had the debate with my friend is that he is big into buying and trading vid cards (both NV and AMD) and his point of view on it came from the fact that a game like bf4 was able to play at max settings on a gtx 670 2gb that he had at the time. Meaning the recommended requirements are somewhat overstated shall we say on a bleeding edge type of game. Also, you have remember that a next gen console doesn't have a discreteness to it in the sense that the limted amount of ram on the consoles(be it ddr 5 in ps4 or ddr3 in xbone) is shared ram between graphics, the os and the cpu. It's that HUMA architechure that amd is pushing with it's next gen apu's also (Kaveri). The discete video cards main advantage still that a desktop pc maintains is that it has the ability to have discreteness of memory in video cards. Meaning that 2gb is only used for video. Next gen NV Maxwell is going to change that in the sense that they are going to have the same or more discrete ram on the video card, but that shared part you see in the dxdiag and wei in driver form will actually make the system ram in pc's actually share or lend to the video card as a extension instead of being a ms statistic. In other words, the modularity of the pc meaning and that video card barriers will finally be fixed by the need for more pc ram above it's 8gb norm for most gamers will change due to that very fact. I wouldn't see 32gb as a necessity, but 16 quite possibly. But like I have posted before nv maxwell may see the light of day until 3q 2014 due to complications in the 20nm fab process for next gen gpu's. Kinda seems like divine intervention also in the sense that ddr 4 at higher transfer rates won't take consumer form until q1 2015 in the sense of timing. Meaning the sharing comes first then the speed kicks in after that. My only left over problem is with patience. My local retailer stocks mainly 2gb gtx 770 with 4gb 770's being special order. I could order from a online retailer and wait a couple of days. So, it's that similar frustration you had when your retailers were upping the prices on gtx 770's and you felt at a disadvantage due to overall value for the buck. The one that does give me peace is that amd apu's and mainstream intel cpu's (ivy bridge,sandy bridge, haswell) have integrated gpu's on them. So, as of right now i am using my hd 4000 igpu as a temporary stop gap for a functional pc. It's too bad that intel iris 5000 graphics weren't available in socket form (the cpu's for that series of igpu comes in bga or soldered to the motherboard form of cpu for stuff like intel NUC's for examples), as they come on par with low end amd and nv graphics (amd 6670, nv gt 630 or 640). It would take away from that impatience a little.
gigabyte z97x gaming gt mb, 8gb ddr3-1866 mhz ram in dual channel,intel core i7 4790 3.6 ghz quad core cpu, zotac gtx 970 4gb vc,OCZ vector 150 240 gb ssd x 2 in raid 0,evga 1200p2 1200watt 80 plus platinum psu,corsair carbide 500r white case,lg 16x bluray writer, steelseries 6gv2 keyboard ,seiki 39 inch 4k tv, zalman zm-gm3 8200 dpi mouse ,xbox 360 wired controller for windows,adata 16gb usb 2.0 flash drive,windows 8.1 64 bit,creative labs sound blaster zxr pci-e sc,logitech z906 5.1 speakers

I'd rather walk with God in the Dark than shine in the light alone.
wheeljack12 is offline   Reply With Quote