View Single Post
Old 12-23-13, 01:59 AM   #1
MikeC
Administrator

Thumbs up Major System Upgrade with Benchmarks

It's been over four years since I upgraded my desktop PC and I'm ordering the following parts from Newegg for a major upgrade:
  • Intel Core i7-4820K Ivy Bridge-E 3.7GHz Quad-Core CPU ($324.99)
  • Gigabyte X79-UP4 Motherboard ($239.99)
  • CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB 2133MHz DDR3 SDRAM ($219.99)
  • Intel 335 Series 180GB SATA III SSD ($154.99)
  • WD BLACK 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache HDD ($156.99)
  • ASUS Black 8MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner ($89.99)
All the parts have been ordered and should be here sometime next week. I'm really looking forward to putting this system together and see how it performs with my new EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti ($699.99).

I'll keep you updated on my progress.

Here's a review of the Gigabyte X79-UP4 at The TechReport:
http://techreport.com/review/25583/h...x79a-gd45-plus

Upgrade Notes

I originally ordered the ASUS P9X79 LE motherboard, but encountered two problems that warranted a return. The first issue was that the CPU fan header was not powering the CPU fan. I was able to power the CPU fan from a chassis fan header though. The second problem was that the BIOS only detected 1 8GB stick of memory instead of the two that were installed. However, I installed Windows 7 and used the system for a week without any other problems arising.

I had a problem installing Windows 7 on the GIGABYTE X79-UP4 motherboard. When the list of available hard drives to install Windows on appeared, all of them brought up the following error message when selected:

Quote:
Windows cannnot be installed on this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.
After about 15 minutes of Internet research using my laptop, the situation was remedied by changing the boot order to a non-UEFI drive.

Last edited by MikeC; 01-12-14 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Added Upgrade Notes
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote