View Single Post
Old 10-08-02, 03:24 PM   #1
sephiroth762

Unhappy My SuSE 8.0 just totally BROKE. Help please!!!

Ok... for starters, here's the system I'm running:

(Built by me :-))
AMD Athlon XP 2100+
768MB DDR SDRAM PC2100
WD 40MB 7200RPM HD (x2: one windows, one linux)
VisionTek GeForce4 Ti4400 (AGP)
Yamaha 20x10x40 CD-RW
1.44MB Floppy
SoundBlaster Audigy Gamer
Cheap ass 10/100 card
SuSE Linux 8.0 Professional (Drive 2)
Windows XP Professional (Drive 1)
---NOTE: I have it set up to use LILO as boot manager and boot linux by default. I have 8 seconds to decide Windows or Linux and if I don't make a decision, linux boots.

-ALSO- I don't know ANYTHING about linux. I just got it. I know NO "shell commands," directories, setup files or whatever, so try to explain as clearly as possible for a total beginner please :-D (if you could tell me exactly what to type that would be GREAT).

Alright, so here's the problem... I couldn't get my 3D card to work (I had installed Q3A and it ran like crap, plus the 3D games that came with SuSE won't run; says there's no 3D card) SOOOO, I downloaded and installed the two drivers on the NVIDIA site: the GLX and the Kernel files. SuSE then tested the setup, (it worked) and told me I didn't need to reboot. Well, my mouse turned into these two little pink slits somehow, so I decided to log out and log back in to see if it would go away.

Then the problem occured. When it should have gone back into the logon screen, the screen "clicked" and flashed 4-6 times, then it took me back into the green screen that comes up when you boot up (and it lists all the procedures its going through on startup). It then asks for my user name and password. I enter it and it just says "Have fun..." and gives me that Konsole or AShell or whatever its called on the green screen where the procedures are listed. I hit CTRL+ALT+DEL (being the windows user I am) and it rebooted. Now at the beginning, it moves along until where the logon screen should be. Then it says "NVIDIA" really big on the screen, clicks and flickers 4-6 times, and goes back to that "have fun..." crap. I can't figure out what to do. I tried to boot in "FailSafe" mode, but to no avail. The same thing happens again. I don't know what to do to get it to boot right again or get the thing to work. Did I totally screw up my Linux???? I hope not, cuz it took forever to get it this far. :-(

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance.