Played around with the drivers some more and noticed something which might be of use to some of you.
I got to a point where the GLX modules weren't loading (like in many of the posts I see). Started going over the changes that I made and figured it out. I was running WineX and set LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=xxx to get around the localdomain/socket error.
As soon as I removed this and reinstalled the drivers (this step might not be necessary), everything was back to normal.
I suggest including the kernel variable that as part of your startup command for WineX instead of adding it to your bash_profile as I had.
Good luck all,