View Single Post
Old 10-08-02, 08:10 PM   #1
Essense

Default Help Networking Problem

Hey guys,

Im trying to network 2 computers in my house together, and I can't seem to get it to work for the life of me.

They are both Windows XP Machines, and the way I have it setup is

Cable Modem 4 port Hub, and 2 RJ-45 Cables runing from the HUB one to my network card and one to his network card.

I can get the machines to see each other, but they won't communicate, somtimes I get them to talk, transfer files, share printers etc. But it only last a little while then it quits working, and somtimes a reboot of both systems won't get it working again. It's really annoying.

Also the only way I could get them to connect was to turn off all Auhtentication proticals, Im not sure how they work with certificats, MD5-challenge, etc. Don't know how to set them up and can't find any documentation in the windows help files. I've seen some networking guides, but they don't go into what to do if you have this problem.

Neither of the computers are shareing an internet connection, they both have separate Dynamic IP's and there own connection.

I also had to turn of the windows XP firewall to get any kind of connection.

I can't beleive it's that hard to just connect 2 computers together though a HUB, it's rediculous.

Regards,
Mike