View Single Post
Old 01-25-04, 12:12 AM   #1
ecoffey

Unhappy Screen corruption, crashes, no NVIDIA-GLX

Hi, I'm trying to get X up and running on my Debian system to no avail.

The symptoms are as follows:

On startup short black horizontal lines are displayed across the top of the stippled b&w X background, then there is corruption all over the screen as the Gnome splash screen displays the Gnome initialization process.
Random junk sometimes appears alongside new windows and other on-screen changes.
xdpyinfo shows GLX, NV-CONTROL and NV-GLX but no NVIDIA-GLX
glxgears runs and crashes the computer (niether CTRL-ALT-DEL nor CTRL-ALT-BKSP work), or prints "Invalid instruction" and exits, or prints "Sefmentation fault" and exits.
X crashes sometimes when opening an application or simply clicking a link or button in Mozilla, or for no apparent reason at all.
"NvAgp" "0" prevents X from loading at all. Other options have no effect.
No serious looking errors/warnings in X log.

The setup is as follows:

Soltek 75MRN-L motherboard, AMD Athlon XP 2600, onboard GeForce4 MX (Video BIOS 04.1f.00.08.00), 512MB ram (32 for video), nForce2 chipset.
Newly installed Debian system with kernel package 2.4.24-1-k7 and XFree86 4.2.1.1.
Installed nForce drivers from NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.tar.gz tarball - all went smoothly.
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5328-pkg1.run produces no warnings
All files and symlinks in place
glxgears linking against tls libraries

I have looked long and hard bat cannot find any reports of symptoms matching these, let alone a solution - does anyone here have any idea what might be wrong?

Last edited by ecoffey; 01-25-04 at 12:22 AM.
ecoffey is offline   Reply With Quote