Thread: FX5700 problem
View Single Post
Old 01-31-04, 06:42 AM   #1
Boltondave

Default FX5700 problem

This is my first post in this forum, so please accept my apologies if I miss anything out.

I've just bought an Xfx 256MB FX5700 video card, and I can't get WindowMaker to work fully. After installing the 5336 drivers downloaded from the Nvidia website, and making the relevant alterations to the XF86Config-4 file, I'm left with a blue wallpaper and some partly-drawn frames in the top-left corner of the desktop.

The only way I can use this card is if I use the 'vesa' driver, which gives me an 800x600 desktop in X.

I'm currently using Mandrake 9.1, with its default 2.4.21 kernel. I can't get the video cards BIOS number from "/proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0" because the "/proc/driver/nvidia" directory tree doesn't currently exist (this could be because I'm using the 'vesa' driver, but I'm not experienced enough to know if this is a right assumption or not). The CPU is an AMD XP2000+. Having used an Asus GF2 GTS before now, I know about the AMD bug, and I have the "mem=nopentium" setting in my fstab entry. The motherboard is an Abit KG-7 lite, with the most recent "DS" BIOS update.

I've supplied the logfile of XFree when I was trying to get the 'nv' driver to work, as opposed to the 'vesa' driver.

Can anyone give any help or ideas?
Attached Files
File Type: log xfree86.0.log (25.7 KB, 154 views)
Boltondave is offline   Reply With Quote