View Single Post
Old 02-01-04, 10:25 AM   #1
FEDC1user

Question System Locks during screen saver -- help!

I recently installed the nvidia drivers version .5336 (the latest ones) and now my system works fine until the screensaver gets activated. I have a RivaTNT2 32MB card. Once the screensaver gets activated the entire system locks up and the only way I can get out is kill power at the tower (not a good thing...). I get the following output in /var/log/messages:
Feb 1 10:38:38 localhost kernel: 0: nvidia: loading NVIDIA Linux x86 NVIDIA Kernel Module 1.0-5336 Wed Jan 14 18:29:26 PST 2004
Feb 1 10:38:38 localhost insmod: Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o will taint the kernel: non-GPL license - NVIDIAFeb 1 10:38:38 localhost insmod: See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted modules
Feb 1 10:38:38 localhost insmod: Module nvidia loaded, with warnings

I made the mistake of "assuming" that the latest version would work for me w/o running the NVchooser.sh file first to make sure. After running NVchooser.sh, it tells me:
NVIDIA does not provide a prebuilt binary driver for your
distribution at this time. Please download:
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.tar.gz
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2960.tar.gz

I downloaded those, but get compile errors when running the "make install" command, saying that the wrong version of gcc is being used to compile the driver.

How can I change the version of gcc that it is trying to use during the "make install" command? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated....

Thx -- Tim
FEDC1user is offline   Reply With Quote