View Single Post
Old 02-01-04, 06:39 PM   #23
AndyCap

Default Re: MGA

[quote]Originally posted by Inaea Plena
[b]>Is there any company which develops 3D accelerated graphics cards and has open source drivers for it ?

>Yes. Matrox does, for example. Fairly nice ones too, though their cards aren't nearly as >fast as Nvidia's and ATI's. ATI also puts some work into the open source drivers. I don't >blame Nvidia for their decision to keep their drivers closed (and as it was stated above, >they do have other peoples' IP to protect). They make good drivers... none of the OSS >ones even come close performance-wise.

Well, actually I think ATI, Nvidia and Matrox are equally bad in this regard. Matrox drivers require a binary Hal if you want to use the DVI output. ATI has binary only cores for their later cards, and Nvidia has binary modules for theirs. But at least nvidia does publish official drivers. Some support invested into the XFree86 driver would also be nice though.

As for whining about nvidia opensourcing their drivers I try not to do it _too_much. The ultimate solution is as always "Vote with your wallet" I don't really care for people who complain but ultimately won't stop buying the products. (Same goes for MS btw.)