View Single Post
Old 02-02-04, 10:13 AM   #2
broose

Question

I don't think the good people at nVidia are interested in supporting the Console framebuffer, though I've not seen any valid reasons for this. I am beginning to regret buying a nVidia card now and once I've found a more Console framebuffer accelerated friendly card manufacturer, I'll be changing it.

I still fail to see why nVidia feel the nead to hold back the low level graphics documentation from open source developers, or even "responsible" developers like DirectFB. Surely development of drivers for linux would come on leaps and bounds if DirectFB didn't have to develop drivers by trial and error. I feel it's attitudes like this that is holding back Linux on the desktop. XFree86 is a little overkill for home desktop machine, I maybe wrong, not everybody has the need to remotely log into X or am I missing something? This is very Micro$oft-ish (like it or lump it).

Qt-fb toolkit would be excellent as an alternative desktop api (and existing qt/kde programs could be easily ported) but is crap without Console framebuffer acceleration.

Sorry for the rant, but I feel cheeted having paid 130 for something that doesn't fulfill my needs.
broose is offline   Reply With Quote