View Single Post
Old 02-03-04, 09:26 AM   #29
psiegel

Ok, I'll attach my XF86Config-4 file, but I warn you that you won't be able to just use it. You're running RH9 which I think still runs a 3.something version of XFree86, and thus uses the old XF86Config not the newer XF86Config-4.

I can point out some problems you might have using the XF86Config file you linked to. First of all, as mentioned earlier in this thread, get rid of this entire section:

Section "DRI"
Group 0
Mode 0666
EndSection

Also, if you've got the 16.1" screen and not the 15.4" screen, you're in a 4:3 aspect ratio, not 16:10. So you can get rid of the entire "Modes" section (and the UseModes "16:10" line).

You'll want to fix the HorizSync and VertRefresh values in the Monitor section to the appropriate values for your screen. I know for the 15.4" screen the are "30.0-61.0" for the Horiz and "50-75" for the Vert. They might be different for the 16.1" screen. I got the values by calling Alienware tech support and demanding the vertical and horizontal refresh rates, expressed in kHz and Hz respectively. It took some doing to convince the first person I talked to that I knew what I was talking about and he did not before I got handed to someone who did understand what I was looking for. Be careful with these values, I believe it's theoretically possible to damage your display with the wrong values. This may not really be true for newer hardware, but better safe than sorry, right? It's not like you can go buy a new monitor for these things. Anyway, I suggest you call tech support and make sure you have the right numbers.

You'll also want to change the Mode values in the Subsection "Display" portion. What's listed on the site you posted are all 16:10 ratio settings, which you won't have on the standard 4:3 ratio screen. Change them to look like this:

Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

Finally, to get the mice working, you'll want to find out where your mice are mounted in the /dev tree. The could be in many different places like:

/dev/mouse
/dev/usbmouse
/dev/psaux
/dev/input/mouse0
/dev/input/mouse1

Try using the cat command on each of these files and then moving the mouse around. If it's the right file, you'll see a bunch of characters appear on the screen. Press Ctrl-C to quit out. Then change the Device setting the Section "InputDevice" to the file you found to work.

I hope all this helps. Oh, and attached is my XF86Config-4 file.

Paul
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86config-4.txt (3.5 KB, 117 views)
psiegel is offline   Reply With Quote