View Single Post
Old 10-11-02, 10:00 PM   #187
Bigus Dickus
GF7 FX Ti 12800 SE Ultra

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
not to mention that a lot of people use lower resolutions to help their aim, as i am discovering.
You're probably referring to making characters appear bigger, correct?

Just for your information (as I'm sure you're dying to know this ) if that's what you're talking about, I can attest to the fact that it makes no difference in Unreal Tournament at least. Both myself and a friend of mine both swore for two years or so playing UT that increasing the resolution "made the players too damn small to hit!" We were convinced of that, and felt no need to test it, because it simply looked that way... and eyes never lie, right?

After laying awake one night thinking about it recently, I realized that it shouldn't make any difference because the geometry rendered by the card is identical, just the rasterization process is different.

To test this, I took a screenshot at 1600x1200 and 1024x768 at the exact same location (with bots in the same location), and then used an image utility to reduce the 1600x1200 screenshot to 1024x768. Side by side comparisons revealed that the characters are in fact identical in size... one was just more blocky (pixelated) than the other.

I attribute the sensation that charcters shrink as resolution is increased to some sort of illusion caused by the reduced crosshair, HUD, and text size seen on screen. These visual clues might trick the eye into "seeing" smaller characters. Indeed, the less pixelated nature of the screen might have an influence as well.

Translating this to other games, I can't imagine why it would be any different. As stated earlier, with a certain frame of view (FOV) the vertices for polygons on the screen (including characters) are set, and treated the same in hardware until the point where the scene is rasterized into pixels.

Now, won't you sleep better tonight?

OTOH, if you are talking about reducing resolution to increase framerates and thus improve aim, then ignore all the stuff above.
IMO, Mr. Derek Smart is a hypocrite: Only someone who is either (a) lying (b) ashamed of their products (c) just plain ashamed, would hestitate to give out some simple and straight forward information. - Derek Smart, Ph.D.
Bigus Dickus is offline   Reply With Quote