View Single Post
Old 10-12-02, 12:23 PM   #50
ratboy

Angry

STEEL1, i just installed redhat 8.0 and have a few questions about how to install the nvidia card drivers.

1st, i'm a complete noob. meaning i have never used linux before.
i currently have a dual boot going between winxp and linux - works great btw.

2nd, here are my system specs:
mobo: supermicro p4dce+
procs: dual xeon 1.8 gig
video card: geforce 4 ti4400

3rd, what linux packages do i have?
upon initial install, i selected "workstation" and installed all the packages.
using default kernel 2.4.18-14smp

4th, monitor is set to 1024 X 768 16bit and video card is set to geforce 4 (generic) using the vesa driver.

this being said, i cannot set color depth to 24bit and is there any way to get the monitor refresh rate to 75-85 hz?
__________________________________________________ __

now i would like a little more detailed install info please:

>>>>Step 1> Download the following from NVidia's site.<<<<
i downloaded the kernel and glx drivers, is there any particular directory they need to go in?

>>>>Step 2> Make sure you have the kernel headers installed along with all other dev tools. I am not too sure if you need them since we are going to do a "rpmbuild --rebuild" but I had them installed anyways.<<<<
it i installed all packages when i installed linux, does that mean the kernel headers are installed? if not, how do you install the kernel headers and dev tools?

Step 3> In a gnome terminal window do a "rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.src.rpm" to create drivers for the RH 8.0 kernel. (This will create the binary RPM in "/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.i386.rpm")
when i tried this, i got "file not found" do i have to somehow unzip the driver files first before i can run this command? if so, where do unpack the driver files to?

if you or any of you do not wan't to explain in a more detail way on how to install video card drivers, can you point me in the right direction(link)?

thanks from a complete noob