View Single Post
Old 02-19-04, 10:47 PM   #12
Nephilim
Slacker extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally posted by -=DVS=-
Game must be designed to make use of Dual CPU's to begin with...... if they were alot of us would prolly have dual CPU PCs and future games depend on strong Graphics card more then on CPU.

And all this comparision is apple to oranges , they will make it run good on Xbox or any other platfrom , by optimizeing reduceing quality if needed and so on.........

But offcourse with all details on PC will be first one to run it good with next gen video cards.
Uhhh....Quake 3 makes use of dual procs if you have them. Why wouldn't Doom 3?

Quote:
Originally posted by Edge
I guess MACs would be more efficient, but they will simply get trampled on by PCs due to raw speed. There's nothing availible for the MAC that can match up to a 4 ghz P4 with a 9800pro card, even though the CPU is much more efficient. Also with Doom 3 being locked at 60 ticks per second, there's going to be a certain point in CPU speed where a faster processor simply won't help. Though I forgot all about the MAC version of the game, since at this point MAC gaming is kinda dead...
Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5
8GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 8x1GB
2x250 GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

I'd have a tough time believing that Doom 3 would be faster on a single 4Ghz P4 than on a dual 2Ghz G5. If Doom 3 has support for SMP like Quake 3 does (and there isn't any reason to believe it won't), then there I see no reason why a dual proc. Mac couldn't outperform a single proc. PC in game.

Athlon XP 2100+ | 512MB PC3200 RAM | Asus A7N8X Deluxe | GeforceFX 5900 VIVO 128MB @ 475/950 | 2 Western Digital SATA 120GB HDD in RAID 0 | 1 IBM 60GXP 60GB HDD IDE | 36x 12x 48x CD-RW | Logitech Z-680 THX 5.1 Speakers | 19in. Samsung 955DF Monitor | Windows XP Pro

Last edited by Nephilim; 02-19-04 at 11:01 PM.
Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote