View Single Post
Old 02-25-04, 01:04 PM   #1
Zulu

Default upgraded kernel + NVIDIA driver conflict

I will narrate my problem by kronologis....I’m running redhat 9 ... one week ago, I have installed NVIDIA-LINUX-X86-1.0-5328-pkg0.run driver and successful, afterwards, I try to update the my redhat default kernel ( 2.4.20-8bigmem) to kernel-bigmem-2.4.20-30.9.i686.rpmand successful afterwards, I install the kernel module ntfs is kernel-ntfs-bigmem-2.4.20-30.9.i686.rpm and successful but after restarting, when will enter the desktop, I get the error message :

I can not start the X server (your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not setup correctly, would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem ?

finally, I try to reinstall the driver, but I receive error message again :

There appears to already be adriver installed on your sysytem (version : 1.0-5328). as part of installing this driver (version : 1.0-5328), the existing driver will be unistalled. Are you sure you want to continue ?

But after I click “Yes” I receive error message again :

No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel . Would you like to attemp to download a kernel interface for your kernel from the nvidia ftp site.

Because I don’t have an internet connection, then I click “NO” after that I receive error message again :

No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; this means that the installer will need to compile a new kernel interface.

And after I click “OK” I receive message :

ERROR:

Unable to find the kernel header files for the currently running kernel. Please make sure you have installed the kernel header files for your kernel; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have the 'kernel source' rpm installed. If you know the correct kernel header files are installed, you may specify the kernel include path with the '--kernel-include-path' commandline option.

After I click “OK” I receive message :

ERROR:

Installation has failed. Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia- installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

finally, I try to unistall the driver and reinstall again but I still receive same error mesage. So what is the best solution for this problem…I very need your help
Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote