View Single Post
Old 03-02-04, 09:43 AM   #15
GreyGeek

Quote:
Originally posted by LordMorgul
All of you having issues with Mandrake 9.2 should generate a verbose logfile from X and post it on this thread. It is very difficult, almost impossible, for the engineers to solve problems without any information to work with. To do this follow the instructions from Andy Mecham on this thread.

Keep the most specific information you can gather about your machine in the SAME post that has your logfile attached, its much simpler to figure out who has what problem.

The drivers do support Mandrake and Redhat, in case anyone there was requesting something new; what is needed is not a new effort at supporting the distro, but in finding the cause of crashes.

Another Note: versions prior to 53.36 do not support kernel 2.6, you must use patches from www.minion.de to use those versions.
For the MDK NVIDIA_kernel-2.4.22.26mdk-4496.2.3.92mdk.i586.rpm driver here is the msg from the XFree86.log:
(EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (NVIDIA XFree86 driver not found)

For the NVIDIA 4496 binary here is the msg from XFree86.log
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!

And while attempting to add "Options" to the nVidia binary XF86Config-4 file, in the driver section, I encountered this puzzle:
Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices","DFP,TV"
gave the error msg:
parsing error on line 71 ",gnoreDisplayDevices" an unknown keyword.
Needless to say, there were no invisible control characters, etc., on line 71. Surrounding that line with spaces or moving it up or down in the section didn't help.
So, I couldn't test this option, which gave some people success.

Since I have had success in installing the 4496 binary on my other PC, also running MDK 9.2.1, but with a video card, not a video chip, I am concerned that it is the chip/mobo that is not compatible with the NVIDIA 4496 binary.
GreyGeek
GreyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote