View Single Post
Old 03-07-04, 05:02 PM   #1
salemvam

Default Problem with Geeforce 4MX 440 and Mandrake

=================================================
Here is my problem
Past year I bought some components and builded the PC now I'm using. Since that day I had discovered day by day new things to enjoy my Linux experience but something happens with Mandrake and nVidia drivers.
Since I got my new PC running, I have tried some Linux distros like MEPIS (Debian based), Red Hat, Mandrake... I could use nVidia drivers with all them... but Mandrake. It's always the same problem (with whathever version of Mandrake):

I install the nVidia driver, I edit the "XFConfig-4" file, I start X server by typing "init 3" and I can see the nVidia logo and the KDM asking for my username and password. Once I type them and push enter the KDE loads without problem but a few seconds after the splashscreen dissapear, the PC hangs without remedy. The keyboard and mouse doesn't respond anymore and I must do a RESET to restart the computer. Sometimes the start sound of KDE sounds in a ring (once and once again till I do the dirty restart).
Here goes the description of my PC:

- Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 440 (64Mb)
- Driver version: Whatever I try: the latest try was 5336
- Distro: Mandrake 9.1
- Video BIOS ver.: The info contained in "/proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0" (bold issues)
- Model: GeForce4 MX 440
- IRQ: 5
- VideoBios: 04.17.8e.61.00
- Cartype: AGP
- Processor: Genuine Intel Pentium IV 2533Mhz
- Mainboard: P4VXASD2+
The "XFree86.0.log" and "XFConfig-4" files are zipped and attached to this message.
Thanks for your support and for read this.
Attached Files
File Type: zip xf.zip (5.9 KB, 187 views)
salemvam is offline   Reply With Quote