View Single Post
Old 03-21-04, 11:21 AM   #52
MikeC
Administrator

Default Thanks for the comments

Thanks for the comments. This was a spur of the moment upgrade since it was a weekend and Joerg, who lives in Germany, was available.

I am a newbie with vBulletin 3, so it's a learning process for me as well. Fortunately, I seem to take these types of changes in stride since they also happen in my "real" job.

I am becoming familiar with the new interface, but the administration of vBulletin 3.0 has been totally overhauled. Not so much the control panels, but the underlying architecture is now based on inheritance. If you are an object oriented programmer, you will feel right at home with vBulletin 3.0.

My main goal was to get the advertising banners working again, which I just finished. It took around 3 hours to figure out how to incorporate them, but most of that time was spent on figuring out how vBulletin 3.0 dynamically builds forum pages. It's quite sophisticated, but there a few areas where you can insert custom code without getting into trouble (I hope). Saving a sample forum page on my PC and then editing it to get the look I wanted really helped out.

We will continue to tweak the forum as necessay and maybe even incorporate some custom mods. Howver, I would only incorporate custom mods if I can figure out how to create a "mirror" of the forum to use as a test system.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote