View Single Post
Old 03-29-04, 01:50 AM   #19
Drumphil

Default Re: Far Cry shows how pitiful GeForceFX is in DX9 games

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower
Is there an echo? Did I stutter? Yes, better. In very rare cases on some racing games. You can see here where I've run into a similar occurance with Indy Racing.Thanks for clarification, yeah it's been a long time since I've ever seen that though...been a while since I've had a card with anemic VRAM.No worries, didn't mean to hurt your feelings or anything.

I don't know if you stutter or not.. You'll have to tell me that.. As for anemic vram.. How much vram do you have now.. If its 128mb then you will be limited to 1280x1024 with 4xAA turned on.. So 1600x1200 would be AA free and faster in this situation.. And what do my feelings have to do with it.. I perfer having an actual understanding of the issues, rather than competing to be the biggest smart arse with my posts .. Anyways, you got a good sense of humor, so I'm sure you wont be offended.

Quote:
"I think what people are saying jAkUp is that these cards scale with the processor/system. The slower bus speeds can hold back a card like the 5900. So it's not that the game is CPU-dependent. Make sense?"
no, this doesn't make sense.. The slower system bus doesn't hold back the GPU at all, it does however limit the CPU performance. The GPU connects with the rest of the computer using AGP, which is not the bottleneck in GPU performance.. (remember, the AGP port connects to the system ram in the northbridge chip, so memory access for AGP is independent of the cpu, so increasing ram speed helps, but FSB alone doesn't)

Apart from texturing over agp where the memory speed can make a difference, the FSB has no direct effect on the GPU (and then only because most people increase their ram speed when the increase their FSB).. any difference in performance is due to how CPU performance is effected by FSB speed.. I can clarify that a bit (or a lot) more if its needed, but i couldn't be bothered typing more if you get that anyway.

Last edited by Drumphil; 03-29-04 at 03:07 AM.
Drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote