View Single Post
Old 10-18-02, 05:41 PM   #11
dwbrewer

Default Re: Re: FYI: New RH Kernel RPMs out

Quote:
Originally posted by bwkaz
This is why I personally don't like RPMs. I'm just curious here, did you try to rpm -Uvh after you rebuilt the RPMs? If not, try it next time -- -U tells RPM to upgrade. So if there's already one RPM installed that provides the same thing as what the RPM you're installing provides, then if you don't tell it to upgrade, then you might have better luck with that.
I did use -Uvh. It still gave me driver alread loaded message. It loaded after adding the --force.

Quote:
Now one thing I'm wondering about this statement is, how long have you been using Linux? It doesn't sound like long.
I have toyed with RH 6.2 and 7.3 before loading 8.0. Maybe 1 month experience. I like the evolution of the product.

Quote:
How long did it take your organization (in man-months or whatnot, not just amount of time) to learn every last nuance of Windows, so that you do feel comfortable using it instead? Not just 2000, but Windows in general?
We spent 1 year deploying to 25 locations throughtout the U.S. We had training classes onsite for the administrators for 1 week. I am still learning the nuances, but I can manage each of the 25 sites from my desk. I can use Funk proxy and take control of a remote machine and walk someone through how to accomplish a task instead of blindly relying on them to tell me what they see. I manage antivirus definition rollouts from each of these offices domain controllers remotely also. I would like to visit a site that has this implemented in Linux to see how they are managing sites.

Quote:
And how long do you spend re-learning things when fundamental user-interface changes happen?
There was a learning curve from NT4.0 to Win2k.
Not much of a curve from Win2k to XP. I am sure Linux has it's strong points. I am also sure that a Service Pack install in Win2k (What a kernel update would be in Linux?) would probably not force me to reinstall a video driver.
dwbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote