View Single Post
Old 10-18-02, 06:57 PM   #12
bwkaz

Default Re: Re: Re: FYI: New RH Kernel RPMs out

Quote:
Originally posted by dwbrewer
I did use -Uvh. It still gave me driver alread loaded message. It loaded after adding the --force.
OK. That sounds like it might be a problem with the versioning on the package that got built then. That's nothing you can really do anything about, though...

Quote:
We had training classes onsite for the administrators for 1 week. I am still learning the nuances, but I can manage each of the 25 sites from my desk.
How long had you been using Windows before those classes? How long did it take you to get used to the way Windows does things the first time you started using it? I'm assuming these classes were just training for 2K, right? Or did they start at the very beginning -- "this is how you boot up. This is how you log in. This is how you run a program" type of thing? I sort of doubt that...

But because of the completely different way Linux works, it's almost better to assume that you're at that point, rather than already a sysadmin, when you do comparisons like what you feel comfortable doing with different OSes. I don't mean for that to be any kind of personal attack or anything, just an observation that that kind of thinking is sometimes better.

Quote:
I would like to visit a site that has this implemented in Linux to see how they are managing sites.
So would I. I'm just a lowly user, not a sysadmin at a company or anything like that. My guess, for the remote admin aspect at least, would be some sort of X repeater program. The user sets their DISPLAY variable to the computer and port that this repeater is listening on, and the repeater sends all requests to both the user's real X server, and the admin's X server. Obviously things would have to be coordinated so that normal users couldn't get this to forward to them from somewhere else, but the basic idea is there.

Edit: for the antivirus definitions, for one, there are like ten viruses for Linux/Unix floating around, and the ones that do exist rely on getting root access. If they only ever got lowly-user access, then they wouldn't physically be able to change critical files, because of permissions -- and you can even set flags on files, like "immutable" and "append-only", so that even root can't change a file (if it's immutable) or do anything but add to it (if it's append-only).

But even still, you can do fun things with NFS (or some similar network filesystem), so that your definitions are all on one machine, "shared" across the network. Then all machines talk to that "share" whenever they need access to their definitions, just like it's on their local drive. Then, all you have to do is update one set of definitions -- the ones on the server -- and all the clients will use the new definitions next time they scan.

Quote:
I am also sure that a Service Pack install in Win2k (What a kernel update would be in Linux?) would probably not force me to reinstall a video driver.
It's not really a kernel update, since for a service pack in Windows, your kernel (the vast majority of the time) doesn't change. From 2K to XP (or from 95 to 98, or from 98 to Me, or from NT to 2K), your kernel does change, which is why you need all new drivers for that (well, probably).
Registered Linux User #219692

Last edited by bwkaz; 10-18-02 at 07:06 PM.
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote