View Single Post
Old 04-09-04, 02:56 PM   #1
michael a.

Default debian nvidia driver installation freezes after reboot after reporting 'success'

greetings everyone,

it is very late for me, so i will try to be brief and cross my fingers something arises before morning. essentially i've been driving myself crazy for the last month it seems, trying to install drivers for a quadrofx card on a debian system. registering with a bbs is a pretty extreme move for me though i actually tried to register some time ago as suggested by the nvidia linux driver installation docs, but could never recieve permission via email, i tried again to night out of desperation and was apparently successful. below is a letter i sent to 'linux-bugs@nvidia.com' some time ago to which i never recieved a response. i'm not entirely sure how valid the letter still is, likely somewhat i imagine. it basically explains the situation i think.

sincerely,

michael

--originally sent to: linux-bugs@nvidia.com --------------------------------------------

salutations,

it is my wish on this occasion to recieve help with a particular nasty bug that reared its head why attempting to bring nvidia graphics hardware support online running under debian linux 2.4.18. i believe that is the correct revision. the installer is version 5663 i believe. their is significant discussion of this particular process under these particular constraints on the nvnews bbs, and i've read through every line of the accompaning support documents downloadable from the same local on your network as the installer. but still at somepoint my situation becomes unique. i attempted to register with the nvnews bbs but have yet to be allowed access, in any case i thought that maybe my situation might warrant ammendment of your trouble shooting FAQ. i am new to linux and attempting to bring all of my necesarry hardware online. in the process of getting the installer to succeed i had to recompile the kernel and trade in lilo for grub, but everything went fairly smoothly aside from the boot loader. in the process i actually managed to bring all of my hardware but the nvidia drivers online in an ironic twist, which was the initial goal.

finally the problem arises after modifying the x86config file. the installer terminates with success, insmod/modprobe appear successful, warning about tainting the GPL with proprietary software in the process. the modconfig file contains the entry for nvidia, which i assume is responsible for loading the module during initialization automatically though i can find no evidence of this during initial boot.

now i believe those are all of the constraints aside from the x86config file.

now if i do not alter the x86config file there is no appearance of any faults in the system. but after making the suggested changes and rebooting, upon initialization once the bit which automaticly starts the X server is reached the system blacks out for a few seconds and then displays a wall of asci 'garbage' similar if not entirely so to the console display. at this point the system becomes apparently frozen responding to no input, and at the same time this fault appears to do dame to the hard disk which makes it an expensive process to work with as i'm particularly adverse to the idea of starting over from square one at this point.

also if you will, i would prefer that the X server not automatically run itself during powerup, but i'm unable to find the file which requests this action. if you could help me in that way i would apreciate it. your docs suggest that inittab is responsible for this, but i was unable to draw any real correlation with investigation between the contents of the file and the automated starting of the X server.
in any case in retrospect, with the installation process, all seems well until changing the x86config file, after which starting the X server causes the system to freeze displaying asci garbage (unintelligible characters often outside standard input ranges), most certaintly this is the console and not the X server. also this process almost certaintly causes disk damage making it difficult to work with. it is also difficult to check the X log because to do so requires escaping the inititialzation process which i am sometimes successful at doing though not necesarrily reproducibly, through the mostly random key thrashing of the keyboard.

as well the file that is responsible for automatically starting the X server would prove helpful information. i would seek help via the internet, but i can formulate no means of conveying this situation to a contempory automated search mechanism.

upon gaining access to the nvnews bbs i will post this letter there as well.

hopefully i will find more support than i'm accustomed to.

best wishes.

sincerely,

michael

PS: this server almost never recognizes my requests

Last edited by michael a.; 04-09-04 at 03:53 PM.
michael a. is offline   Reply With Quote