View Single Post
Old 10-24-02, 09:31 PM   #104
lucianpoe

Send a message via Yahoo to lucianpoe
Post Re: still not init

Ron,

Is there any way that you install RH 8.0 fresh from a set of CD's, as opposed to patching the kernel? This may solve the problem. Patches have proved to be my nightmare (true in WindXX, but I haven't had the chance to see this in RH as I install fresh whenever there is a new RH version). My guess is that the headers/ source/etc for the new kernel weren't installed correctly, or maybe the libraries used by the new kernel are a little different than the libraries used by the old kernel, and that's why it either doesn't compile correctly, or it compiles for the older kernel.

The rpm builder recognizes trhe most compatible architecture (it stored the rpms in my i386 folder too, but it installed them flawlessly).

If you can't download the OS's ISOs, e-mail me your address, I'll burn you a set of CD's and mail them to you.

-- Lucian

Quote:
Originally posted by RonO
Lucian,

So far, I'm still getting the same results. I read through your thread and it appears to be the exact same issue I encountered. I've followed your instructions to the letter, but even rebuilding the GLX from src did not fix the problem for me. Same error as before, "(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize theNVdriver kernel module!".

This is a clean install or as clean as it can be given that I've loaded from the RH cds and then it's patched my system with a bunch of RPMs. Just another one of those little frustrations.

FWIW, the rpms were compiled into the i386 directory and not the i686 (under /usr/src/redhat/RPMS). I am booting into linux-2.4.18-17.8.0 (my only choice).
lucianpoe is offline   Reply With Quote