View Single Post
Old 05-04-04, 03:00 PM   #11
hppnq

Default Re: ERROR : unable to determine the nvidia kernel module filename

For a moment I thought I was going crazy, but I got it: you forgot to type the | (the pipe symbol) so I didn't see what I had expected. ;-) It is crucial that you type the commands that I list below *exactly* like they are here -- if in doubt copy/paste!

Anyway, never mind -- you do not have the kernel installed that you are running. ;-)

Try to install it. Supposing you have Mandrake on CDs, put the first of those in your cdrom player and mount it with the command

# mount /mnt/cdrom

You should now see something in /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS (a whole list of packages), but we're only interested in the kernel and kernel-source ones.

Try to locate these with the commands

# ls /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS/*kernel*

and

# ls /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS/*kernel*source*

If you don't see the kernel packages, you'll have to try this for every cd until you found them. They are probably on different cd's by the way.

Now, install (preferably) each of the two packages -- the kernel and in any case the kernel-source, both version 2.6.3-4mdkenterprise -- with the command

# rpm -Uh <package>

where you will have to substitute <package> for the actual package name.

(If you have a package manager like kpackage or something like that this could be even easier, so you could also try that after the mount command). If you get funny errors along the way, let us know.

Otherwise, you have now probably installed the kernel-source (and possibly the kernel rpm as well). Now, first try to install the Nvidia driver again.

If it still doesn't work, type the following:

# cd /usr/src
# ls -l

You should see a couple of directories, one of them should be linux-2.6.3-4mdkenterprise.
If that's the case, type:

# mv linux linux.old
# ln -s linux-2.6.3-4mdkenterprise linux

Now, try installing the Nvidia driver once again. Good luck!
hppnq is offline   Reply With Quote