View Single Post
Old 05-05-04, 12:15 PM   #1
kevkim55

Question insmod says no NVIDIA adapetrs found ?!@#

I downloaded the driver for Linux IA32 - NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run and tried to install the driver, but in vain. The installer compiles the driver successfully and installs it too. But modprobe/insmod fails and the installer exits with the message from insmod/modprobe. I have included the message from insmod below:
Using /lib/modules/2.4.18-14custom/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o
Warning: Loading /lib/modules/2.4.18-14custom/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o will taint the kernel : non-GPL licence - NVIDIA
See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted modules
0:nvidia:no NVIDIA graphics adapter found
/lib/modules/2.4.18-14custom/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o : init_module : no such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect IO or IRQ parameters
You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg.

At this time I would like to specify the system configuraation again - I'm running Redhat Linux 8 on BENQ Joybook 3000 that comes with Intel P4, 256 MB RAM, with NVIDIA GeForce4 Go 420 32M. I have the correct kernel source installed. As the above error message says I have compiled a kernel myself, but I tried the installer with the pre compiled kernel 2.4.18-14 and get the same message. The output from dmesg says - 0:nvidia:no NVIDIA graphics adapter found
The output of lspci says it has found NVIDIA GeForce4 Go 420 32M on bus 0. And of course the X is running fine with NVIDIA GeForce4 (Generic) definition with 'vesa' driver. Windows XP works fine too. Definitely, the NVIDIA GeForce4 Go 420 32M adapter does exist, I don't understand the message from insmod. Perhaps I need to study the source code for insmod to try and understand it's behaviour.
As I just can't get the driver module loaded, I got to live with the generic vesa driver unless someone solves this problem.

Anyone kind enough to help ?
kevkim55 is offline   Reply With Quote