View Single Post
Old 05-10-04, 07:18 AM   #9
MadEgg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 88
Default Re: 2.6.5 and "Badness in pci_find_subsys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by msillence
Bought a new graphics card (Nvidia mx4000) and low and behold problems are gone.
Using the same 5336 driver and 2.6.5 kernel and same mb/memory. Just not using the built in graphics card any more.

So it looks like for me at least it was a memory hardware issue, nasty in that without running anything graphical, memory tests passed OK.

Thanks and hope this saves someone some time.

--
M
Hmmz, you're right. With 4363 the amount of problems with the driver have enormously decreased. But pci_find_subsys badness still occurs I found out yesterday. I tried to watch a movie using mplayer and it locked up my X.org 3 times. I didn't have another computer around to SSH in and kill X to omit a reboot but luckily I could get it to sync/umount/reboot quite nicely using the SysRq system.

Anyway, after the reboot I checked out my kernel-logfiles and it seems that at the time of the crash some nasty pci_find_subsys badnesses popped up.

I really hope this will get fixed soon. I'm able to get around the sometimes bad performance, the missing/partially-working/non-userfriendly features and that kind of stuff. But a stable driver that doesn't crash X should be a must within one or two months.

BTW, I read here and there that nVidia's drivers are made up by 90% code from a shared codebase across Windows/Linux/FreeBSD. The remaining 10% is OS-specific. Isn't that the part that IS opensource in the Linux-kernel driver?
Probably not, otherwise they would've been fixed already I suppose. Just a thought, I don't really know much about the inner workings of the nvidia-driver or any hardware driver at all...
__________________
Proud owner of GF 6800 Ultra AGP and GF 6600 AGP
MadEgg is offline   Reply With Quote