View Single Post
Old 05-14-04, 04:02 PM   #23
siddly

Default Re: 2.6.6 kernel breaks NVIDIA driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringCheesian
I've heard that something new in the 2.6.6 kernel (4K stacks, or something like that) breaks the nvidia kernel module. You guys know about that, right? I just thought I'd mention it just in case, since I don't see any discussion about it.

I'm currently using 2.6.5 with Gentoo Linux and the nvidia driver (version 1.0-5336) works great. But I'm thinking about upgrading my kernel, and I'm worried about future compatibility between the linux kernel 2.6 and nivida's drivers...
The 4KSTACKS patch is part of 2.6.x-mm series. ***WARNING*** you need to reverse the make-4k-stacks-permanent.patch patch or you can corrupt your hard drive. The first one, it caused not to boot fully, the second one was totally corrupt, I had to reformat and re-install. I'm now using the first one for storing files and access to things I need to copy over to SuSE 9.1.
The problem I'm having now with 2.6.6-mm, driver 5336 fails to build, it gets compile errors. I don't know if it's the fault of my new SuSE 9.1 install or something in the new kernel. I've reported this to the kernel mailing list and to Andrew Morton, but haven't had a response. The last successful 5336 install was on 2.6.6-rc3-mm2 under SuSE 9.0 and it works on 9.1.
siddly is offline   Reply With Quote