View Single Post
Old 05-15-04, 02:27 PM   #18
SuLinUX

Default Re: Support for 4K stack in the next kernel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delt
> Ok I don't quite follow you there. Wouldn't opening the binary part up take a lot of work off
> their hands, since then thousands of good programmers could help in improving the driver?

Agreed.

> But of course I understand that they do want to keep the binary part secret.

I don't. What interest do they have in doing so?

> It's not a case of nvidia open sourcing there driver, because it is not going to
> happen, so just face it and shut up.

No i won't. The least thing that nvidia owes us customers who paid for their hardware, is a driver for it that works properly. I'm probably a lot more sick of all these problems with my video card, than you are about people with the common sense to expect working drivers for the hardware they purchased.

I'm sure nvidia have there reasons for not opening it and nvidia dont own you nothing and they dont have to support Linux, officially they dont as no linux driver comes in the box. About 0.1% buy a nvidia card for Linux only to play games anyway.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote