View Single Post
Old 05-25-04, 01:19 AM   #29
baz2a

Default Re: The Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogetbilo
OK, I had a hard time installing NVIDIA drivers on FC2. I tried various kernels including 2.6.5, 2.6.5-1.358, 2.6.2, 2.6.6. I succeed to get it working with 2.6.2 and 2.6.6.
I think some people who are unexperienced in compiling a kernel need some help.
Here is everything you need
SOMEONE MAKE THIS STICKY, WORKS GREAT!
YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!! LET ME TWEAK THIS UP A LITTLE BIT, BUT FOLLOWED ALONG GREAT! 5336 WORKING LIKE A CHAMP AT LAST

# cd /usr/src
(in FC2 I go GUI if all possible, just used "File Manager - Super User Mode" in K Menu

# wget h ttp://www.kernel.org/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.6.tar.bz2 (without space on http)
(or download the 2.6.6 kernel from your favorite mirror)
# tar jxvf linux-2.6.6.tar.bz2
# \rm linux
(could never figure this command out, but what I did was use Mozilla to get kernel, saved to Desktop, brought up a xterm and ran tar command. Once I had the kernel unzipped, dragged to /usr/src/ in konqueror in super user.
# ln -sf linux-2.6.6 linux
(couldn't figure this out, didn't use it)

# cd /usr/src/linux
(on my machine it's cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.6)
* go to http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...597#post326597
* download the config-2.6.6.txt Omnifarius posted on post #9 and put it in this directory
(did this dropped file into super mode konqueror /usr/src/linux-2.6.6)

# make mrproper
(did this from xterm /usr/src/linux-2.6.6)

# mv config-2.6.6.txt .config
(did not do this, again went the way of GUI)

# make xconfig
(did this)

* you don´t need to change many things, you can disable the drivers for the unnecessary devices. (but I disabled the CONFIG_REGPARM setting in the CPU settings because I heard it may cause trouble, agree, read that several places)
(in particular look for "Use 4kb for kernel stacks instead of 8kb" under the Kernel Hacking menu. also CONFIG_REGPARM is "Use register arguments (EXPERIMENTAL)" under Processor Types and Features menu.

*save (to .config) and exit

# make
# make modules_install
# make install

(this installs the new kernel and modifies grub.conf (or lilo.conf))
(used grub, all was automatic and sweet)

and that´s it.

(Actually if using GUI (KDE 3.2.2 is very nice), need to drop to init 3. Then surf over to the folder where you saved the file NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336.pkg1.run from NVIDIA's website) sh NVIDIA blah blah blah filename. Recompiles NVIDIA driver and exit, emac /etc/inittab again. change init mode from 3 to 5, save changed inittab.

All you need after is to reboot your computer, select the new kernel on grub
and uninstall/reinstall your NVIDIA driver after bootup.

(dont forget to modify your XF86Config (or xorg.conf whichever is present) appropriately)
Gotta gotta change driver from "nv" to "nvidia".

restart X server
(i rebooted)

NVIDIA Logo, and lo and behold, there's my lovely lil' gdm, asking me to log in. All is well running kernel 2.6.6, NVIDIA driver 5336, and kde 3.2.2 on Fedora Core 2.

Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction, was really lost without quick fixes of some Q3 or UT2004 lovin'.

go play some tuxracer

Thanks again,
Ben Z
baz2a is offline   Reply With Quote