View Single Post
Old 05-27-04, 03:01 PM   #31
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Default Re: Thief 3 Deadly Shadows Thread

Ok, well so far I'm really liking it. It is definetely Thief. I take back what I said about the 3rd person perspective. I never found myself switching to the 3rd person perspective, and 1st person feels just fine.

I briefly tried the 3rd person perspective, and well, I really don't like it. It's not Thief. Thankfully the default view is 1st person, and there doesn't seem to be any comprimises made by including a 3rd person view. It seems as if it is an "extra" that will never be used by most PC gamers.

The graphics are very nice, the lighting and such. There are a few low resolution textures here and there though, but thats mainly nitpicking. The AI is pretty decent actually, and I rarley hear a guard say the same line twice. The physics are nice, but the ragdolls could use some work, they seem to end up in the oddest of positions.

The gameplay is very good and reminisent of older Thief games, the only problem I am having is it is a little confusing trying to understand where you need to go next, the default map they give you isn't of much help. Thankfully the strategy guide that I picked up with it can help some. Lockpicking can be frustrating at times, but once you get the technique down, its really not too difficult.

Whats really cool is looking down, you can see your body, your feet, your shadows, etc. It's kinda neat, as opposed to the "floating head" we are so used to in FPS.

It is a break from the standard FPS, and I'm really loving it. Thief is back!

Also, the screenshots I took here look VERY dark, but for some reason in the game they are not nearly that dark.. strange.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	6068  Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	6069  Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	230