View Single Post
Old 05-28-04, 12:20 AM   #3
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel
Default Re: about to buy nForce3 250Gb

didn't know there were complications with linux+250gb.

this really comes down to personal taste, but personally i would put gentoo on it. i feel gentoo is much more efficiant, and is as close to bloat-free as you can get (if it becomes bloated, it's your own fault). redhat/mandrake i feel have always been highly desktop oriented operating systems... for a server; i personally wouldn't get rh or mdk near it, heh.

my close second for servers is slackware. slackware is a sexy distro, and if all you want is cmd line, it will have no problems with that. slackware is one of the most "unix-like" distro there is. in other words, it's bare bones, heh.

that's about all i can say about the issue though, really it all comes down to a personal preference... you may feel better using a different distribution, which may be good. the main reason why i try not to encourage using "bloated" distros for a server alone is because it will take a lot of hard drive space, and the more software you have, the higher chance you are suseptable to security flaws in the programs.

anyway, good luck.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote