View Single Post
Old 05-29-04, 07:00 AM   #39
jimmor

Default Re: Basic FX59xxx bios changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstring
jimmor,
tried the aopen bios too but the memory still is too hot.
I had bought some bfg heatsink kits and used the little ones.
I cut them to fit each single memory.
As bfg didnt put the thermal monitor, and I have no temp monitor
I just physically,carefully, touch the mem sinks and thier hot enough
to burn fingers if constant contact is made, way too hot.
I didnt change gpu core , is at 390/430 memory,even at bfg stock speed
736 will roast my flanges (fingers)
I know I'm running the ragged edge but obtain no problems, weather it be burning a full dvd , running a game , or just surfing the web.

As a test to see how high I could go, I ran at 390/430/930 way o/c'ing
(actually hopeing to burn it up) I already ordered a leadtech, lol

It ran w/o lockups or artifacts!!! but gpu core reset to 399.
Checking temps I first just tried to touch back of the pcb of video card
and it was extremely roasting, needless to say, I didnt get near the memory sinks but gpu core was cool !!!
I've reflashed back to stock, these are well built for taking extreme heat, I'll give bfg/chaintech that credit, although I wouldnt run like that too long,

I have this power supply
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...153-010&depa=0
5V=40A
3.3V=30A
12V=18A

Anyway I'm looking at this cooling solution
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...186-110&depa=0
but am not sure if it'll work on this card.
Your PSU is probably ok for now if it is really operating at these levels, but as I said theres not a lot of safety margin available for extra loading ?

to give an example, for a very long time I used a Qtech 550W, which although not considered amongst the good PSU's, I thought would be good enough for my use ? Well, unfortunately, my recent activities with overclocking my mobo/CPU/dimm and my 5900nu, seamed out of the blue to be causing random lockups/reboots/artifacting ? I finally got it down to be problems with my PSU 12v rail's continuous capacity ?

The Qtech 550 12v rail is rated at 14 amps continuous and 20 amps peak. Unfortunately for me it was the continuous rating that mattered ? My mobo/CPU o/c activities coupled with high overclocking of my 5900nu flashed as a 5950u was occasionally too much by overstressing my PSU's 12v rail just enough to cause me problems !! Resolved all problems by replacing my Qtech with a Vantec 520W stealth which has a 28 amp continuous rating on 12v rail ! So if ever getting random issues similar to my experiences, don't automatically ignore your PSU just because the manufacturers spec looks good on paper ? Any performance enhancing overstressing and/or overclocking we do increases PSU loading to unknown and sometimes unforgiving levels !

back to your temp problems; without proper memory heatsing/cooling you can't run at memory speeds of 930 ! Keep to no more than 850 ! Also, any kind of ramsink will give huge benefits over no heatsinking ? If you place a fan to blow over even small ramsinks, you will be amazed just how much heat can be removed ?

your GPU resetting to 399 still confuses me ? unless as I said, it is just your driver losing control of the overclocked 430 level ? and if so can be fixed by modifying your bios to 430 and it will stay fixed !

High overclocking with good temperature control with a XT card is always going to be a major problem ! the card has no accessable temp monitors and just about every XT type card has a diff kind of cooling/heatsinking and too many have inadequate or no direct cooling of memory chips ??? Because the memory stress/heat problem will be greater in proportion to the chip NS rating, it is better if considering buying one that you choose a card where the poorly cooled chips have a 2.4 or better NS rating ? preferably 2.2 if you can get it ?

Intel P4 3.2 @ 3.85GHz (ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe)
BFG 6800GS (16x1,6vp) @ 300/430/1200.

Driver, 82.12 :-
Aquamark3, 75039
Codecreatures1, 90.8
3Dmark05 v120, 6195
3Dmark03 v360, 14334
3Dmark06 v102, 2949
3Dmark2001se v330, 23793.
jimmor is offline   Reply With Quote